AS/NZS 60079.14: 2017 was published on 12 December 2017. These updates are to align the earlier publication with IEC 60079.14:2013. The key changes among the many are:
- The biggest change is basic structure of the document: Most of the requirements, though same, are spread over and the text re-organised in different places. The challenge now lies in knowing where AS/NZS 60079.14: 2017 varies from IEC 60079.14: 2013. We now need to own 2 sets of ‘identical’ standards when the design/installation is IEC not AS/NZS. It may not be an easy change for many of us.
- In situations where there is more than one safe circuit, the installations will now require cable glands and terminal boxes to be certified.
- Specific requirements for cells and batteries used in transportable, portable and personal equipment aligned with IEC 60079-11, have been added.
- The requirements for cable glands have been expanded and made more prescriptive based on the type of protection specified. The requirements for compound glands in Ex d equipment have changed and the flow chart has been removed. A test for cables can now be found in Annex E. (Note:- this test is for information only)
- Specific requirements of temperature monitoring, limiting temperature and a safety device for electric heating systems have been added.
- The limits and the variation in maximum power dissipation based on the ambient temperature and an alternative equation to calculate the maximum allowed surface temperature, have been added.