Questions we hear the most

What is the minimum eligibility requirement for UEE40411 Certificate IV in Electrical – Instrumentation & UEE42611 Certificate IV in Hazardous Areas – Electrical?

Course participants will require an unrestricted Electrician’s licence or UEE30811 Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician. Apprentices and engineering undergraduates are eligible to be awarded with a Certificate of Completion. Fourth year Electrical Apprentices are eligible to undertake the EEHA part 1 course, subject to award of the competencies on completion of their Apprenticeship.

Why is there a Gap between Part 1 and Part 2 in the gap training course leading to UEE40411 Certificate IV in Electrical – Instrumentation?

The gap in between intense face-to-face delivery sessions (from 7.30am – 4pm) is given so that the students have time to:

  1. complete any take away home assessments given during the first contact delivery week. It takes 20 to 30 hours to complete homework given including writing and verifying PLC programs
  2. prevent information overload in one hit
  3. practise what they have learnt in week 1 and bring any questions or doubts they have to the next session
  4. ensure better retention of underpinning knowledge and skills.

So what’s the difference between the EEHA training and the Certificate IV in Hazardous areas – Electrical?

Many training providers have traditionally offered what is called EEHA (Electrical Equipment in Hazardous Areas) training which simply means they train in a number of individual competencies for which you will receive a Statement of Attainment on completion. Depending on the provider, these competencies generally cover attending to breakdowns, installing explosion protected equipment and wiring systems, maintaining equipment, conducting testing and conducting a detailed inspection of a hazardous area installation. The full Certificate IV qualification includes all of these, and some additional competencies relating to areas such as occupational health and safety policies and procedures, energy sector detailed reports, and environmentally sustainable work practices, as well as the competencies that equate to an unrestricted Electrician’s licence.

What is the minimum eligibility requirement for UEE31211 Certificate III in Instrumentation and Control?

It is a PMV entry requirement that candidates must already hold an unrestricted Electrician’s licence to undertake the gap training to achieve the qualification. Students holding a UEE40411 Certificate IV in Electrical Instrumentation will achieve additional credit for any instrumentation electives selected that are common to that qualification and UEE31211 Certificate III in Instrumentation and Control.

Verification of an electrician’s licence and/or assessment of prerequisites will be completed at the time of enrolment. All required trade licences and enrolment documentation will need to be submitted at the time of enrolment. Prerequisite units can also be achieved through Recognition of Current Competency (RCC)/Credit Transfer (CT) or Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).

What is the Industry Skills Fund?

The Industry Skills Fund (the Fund) assists industry to invest in training and support services and to develop innovative training solutions.  The Fund provides training grants as a co-investment with businesses to improve the skills of their workforce for identified growth opportunities.  The funding is provided to businesses, not to students or training providers.

What are the eligibility requirements for Industry Skills Fund funding?

To be eligible for Industry Skills Fund funding, an individual business must:

  1. be a solvent Australian enterprise
  2. be incorporated and not tax-exempt
  3. have an Australian Business Number (ABN) and be registered for GST
  4. have operated in Australia and filed Business Activity Statements (BAS) showing at least 3 consecutive years of ongoing trading
  5. not be named as not complying with the Workplace Gender Equity Act 2012

Funding may also be available to a consortium of businesses, including partnerships and sole traders, via a lead organisation such as peak bodies, industry associations, not-for-profits, Industry Skills Councils, community organisations etc.

What is the Higher Level Skills Funding (for Queensland residents who are Australian or New Zealand citizens only)?

A core element of the Queensland Government’s Working Queensland jobs plan is ensuring Queenslanders have access to quality training programs that deliver effective skills to meet employment and business demands. The Higher Level Skills program aims to assist individuals to gain the higher-level skills required to secure employment or career advancement in a priority industry, or to transition to university to further their studies.

To find out more and to see if you may be eligible please read the following fact sheet carefully and check you meet the eligibility criteria:

If you are eligible contact PMV prior to enrolment and we can apply for the funding on your behalf.

When will I be informed of the training venue?

An email will be sent to all course participants 10 working days prior to the course, informing them of the venue and other information necessary for the course.

Do I have to read any notes prior to the class?

No. All course notes will be provided on the first day of the course and participants will have sufficient time during the course to read through their notes.

Which books to you recommend to study to prepare for the course?

For UEE42611 Certificate IV in Hazardous areas – Electrical: Please read AS/NZS 60079.14 and AS/NZS 60079.17

For UEE40411 Certificate IV in Electrical – Instrumentation, please refer to the following: and

When will I receive my certificate?

Course participants will generally receive their certificates within 4 weeks of the completion of the course, from the day of receipt of last outstanding assessments and assignments.

Why choose the Certificate IV qualification?

Which option of training you choose is really up to you. However, the Certificate IV qualification is the most commonly asked for qualification by employers to meet their own quality and compliance purposes. A Certificate IV qualification will also ensure you have a portable industry-recognised qualification that you can take with you from employer to employer and job to job.

What about refresher training?

There are no mandatory rules on the time for each person to complete refresher training. However, the Australian Standard (Clause 4.4 AS/NZS 60079.14) says: “Appropriate continuing education or training should be undertaken by personnel on a regular basis”. A common approach from industry is that people complete refresher training every three years. From a training perspective, if you have a qualification or have completed previous training and you haven’t been working in industry or a hazardous area for a two to three year period, then you will find it hard to demonstrate currency in your skills and knowledge in the qualification.